There were plenty of goals in the final day of matches at the combine on Tuesday. The first game of the day was a 2-2 draw between adiZero and Prime. Soccer America MVP Ryan Finley scored first by converting a penalyt kick after he was taken down in the box.
The most impressive goal of the match came in the 43rd minute as Kyle Bekker buries a free kick from distance:
adiZero had multiple chances to get the win, but they came up against some pretty solid goal keeping by David Meves.
In the second game, adiPure topped adiPower 2-1. Brazilian forward Stefan Pinho did not manage to score in this match, but he did cause problems for the opposing defense all day. Even with three decent performances, his draft stock seems to have hardly risen at all.
There were a couple good goals in this final match of the 2013 MLS Combine. Fernando Monge had a very nice strike off of a volley in the early part of the second half, and Mikey Lopez struck the back of the net with this slightly off balance shot from the top of the box near the end of the match.
Now with the combine over, the SuperDraft is less that 48 hours away!
Here are some links to other stories going on that may or may not be draft related:
- Ives Galarcep wrote a short piece about some trade rumors that he has heard down at the combine. He mentions that a few teams might be looking to trade into the top ten. The Chicago Fire is among the teams that Ives mentions. Between Ives' article and the stuff that Josh Whisenhunt has written about the Fire organization at the combine (which I mentioned in my last post), I'm starting to believe that something might be in the works.
- Ives also mentions that Columbus Crew midfielder Dilly Duka has been rumored to be on the trading block. Cody Sharret over at the official Columbus Crew site also wrote a story about the Crew's history of trades during the first round for draft picks. One trade the story highlighted was sending Steven Lenhart and allocation money to San Jose to get the 15th overall pick, which they used to draft Justin Meram. Go ahead and trade Duka, Columbus. Let's see what happens.
- As most of you have probably already heard, Chivas USA manager Chelis has stated that he will be taking Carlos Alvarez with the 2nd pick overall. I would love it if Toronto FC, who has the 1st overall pick, decided to take Alvarez first and then try to trade him to Chivas. "You want Alvarez? Okay, then give us an Oswaldo Minda and a Dan Kennedy, and we'll talk"
- Speaking of Toronto, they have signed Julio Cesar, and Eric Hassli hates Toronto and wants out.
- James selected Walker Zimmerman on behalf of HTIOT during the SB Nation Mock Draft, but Ives mentions in his "off-day observations" that the Colorado Rapids are also very interested in the young centerback.
- And lastly, ParkStrong SportingLive will no longer be...in name at least. Sporting KC is cutting ties with LiveStrongand apparently 'the signage at the stadium reading "Livestrong Sporting Park" has been turned off'.