The Chicago Fire passed in the first stage of the Re-entry Draft. Once a team passes in the first stage of the Re-Entry Draft, they are automatically out of the first stage and will have to wait until the second stage to pick again.
Out of all the Fire players who were available in the first stage, only Corben Bone was selected. Bone will be joining the Philadelphia Union. Hopefully Bone will get the chance in Philly that he never got in Chicago.
Since Chris Rolfe, Logan Pause, Joel Lindpere, Maicon Santos, Shaun Francis, Wells Thompson and Michael Videira were not selected, the Fire will be able to negotiate a new contract with these players between now and stage duex, which takes place next Wednesday. Frank Yallop has already made it known that they are interested in bringing back Logan Pause if possible. Chris Rolfe is also a player who could possibly come back to the Fire at a reduced salary.
As for Daniel Paladini, it sounds like the Fire are still shopping him around.
Looks like Daniel Paladini is on his way to Columbus....stay tuned— Guillermo Rivera (@FireConf) December 12, 2013
Thank God for Guillermo Rivera.
UPDATE: Paladini has been traded to Columbus.
While the Fire did not make any waves, a few other teams did. Here is a rundown of today's moves:
- The Portland Timbers traded Andrew Jean-Baptiste to Chivas USA for Jorge Villafana and Chivas' 2nd overall pick right before the start of the Re-entry Draft. Portland then used that 2nd overall pick to snag Steve Zakuani. Very nice, Portland.
- D.C. United strengthened their back line by picking Sean Franklin with the 1st overall pick and Bobby Boswell with the 20th pick.
- Philly took Corben Bone with the 6th pick.
- Colorado picked up Marc Burch with the 13th pick.
- Also, on to of getting AJB from Portland, Chivas USA also traded the rights of Tristan Bownen for Mauro Rosales.