It's Friday and there is plenty of different links to go around. The big, looming monkey on the Fire's back this weekend is their curse on turf.
Anthony Zilis has a piece up that highlights the Fire's turf woes. Patrick Nyarko shares his view of the why this team can't win on artificial soil:
"I think the style of play comes into play because not a lot of soccer can be played on those fields," Nyarko told MLSsoccer.com. "I think we're good when we can play, you know? It's hard to adjust to the turf. I really don't think it's mental or it's gotten into our heads, I just think we haven't been able to."
Guillermo Rivera over at Fire Confidential also has some notes about the Fire's struggles on turf. He also has a couple of other tidbits in his post worth mentioning:
- Yamith Cuesta is apparently on his way out. Thank god. This little article over at Chicago-Fire had me pretty upset for about a day. More specifically, the words, "...they’re looking to land a significant summer signing when the transfer window opens up next month." I was not a Cuesta fan.
- Maicon Santos might be gone soon. I forgot he was still on the team.
- The first round of voting for Chicago Fire third kit contest wraps up tonight at midnight. Guilermo puts out his design for a Chicago Fire third kit. I dig the stars on the side
Speaking of Chicago Fire third kits, I put together a FanPost of a few of my designs. I did toy with the idea of having my brother-in-law in Grayslake submit an entry on my behalf.
The Fire have also been putting together short interviews with the five finalists in the third kit contest. Here are links to those interviews that look into the inspiration as to how they created their designs:
- Mike Sever - (Option 1)
- Danny Carlino - (Option 2)
- Freddie Christiano - (Option 3)
- Eric Puente - (Option 4)
- Jordan Parks - (Option 5)
Also over at Chicago-Fire, Jeff Crandall has an article up asking the question of who should start in central midfield with Egidio Arévalo Rios away on international duty. Personally, I think Alex deserves the start.
Lastly, the Fire have launched a series of contests called Chicago Fire Rewards, where fans can win things like bobble heads of themselves and some VIP stuff.
Enjoy your Friday, everybody!