While we wait for January 19th, here’s a look at the current players on the roster - by position and by formation - to frame the upcoming player acquisitions.
2016 Fire Roster (from mlssoccer.com)
GK (1): Sean Johnson
DEF (4): Jonathan Campbell, Patrick Doody (HG), Eric Gehrig, Brandon Vincent
MID (7): David Accam (DP), Kingsley Bryce, Drew Conner (HG), Collin Fernandez (HG), Matt Polster, Harry Shipp (HG), Michael Stephens
FWD (3): Joey Calistri (HG), Gilberto (DP, INT'L), Kennedy Igboananike (INT'L)
Unsigned: MID: Alex Morrell
* All players are placed into their "natural" or "first - best" positions ie. NO Harry Shipp at Left Outside Midfield
* No double placements for any player despite their ability to play multiple positions ie. NO Matt Polster at Right or Center Back
* Calistri and Conner have yet to be placed into any position as it’s too soon to tell their roles for 2016.
Several questions for the reader:
* Do you agree that we have everybody in their natural position in each of these four potential formations? Who would you move where?
* Are there any of the "Bench" players who you would start ahead of those on the field?
* Who are the one or two players who were waived or not resigned which you want to bring back? Why?
* If you were the new head coach in 2016, which of these four formations would you build around?
* Considering the number of available players from within MLS and available from outside MLS, who would you go after the fill in the voids?