The Fire are in Year 4 of their 3-year rebuilding plan. The roster is starting to take shape but there are some glaring deficiencies. Tensions between the Front Office and the supporters continue to simmer. No one really knows what to expect from 2019. The regular season starts in about a month.
There will be lots of stories this year that need to be told. We want you to help us tell them.
Hot Time In Old Town is looking for new writers to fill out our comprehensive coverage of the Chicago Fire. We are a community for fans and writers who love to wax poetic about Chicago Soccer. We pride ourselves on our fearlessness, our honesty, and our commitment to telling the stories that need to be told about our teams and this sport.
From our mission statement:
We are a Chicago soccer blog driven by passion. Our writing is sharp, our prose is often flowery, our coverage is frequently adversarial. We thumb our noses at access journalism. We believe caring about the Fire and the Red Stars means accountability— from clubs, from fans, and from the media.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Roughly one post per week covering the Fire during the week between games, in conversation with Fire editor Ruben and managing editor James Bridget to assess coverage needs.
- Occasionally filling in for gameday coverage as your availability allows.
- Interest in contributing to our unannounced podcast project.
- We are especially interested in bringing on writers who want to cover the ongoing tensions between the front office and various supporter groups.
- Previous professional writing experience is unnecessary, and we pride ourselves on developing newer writers and helping them hone their craft. That said, we value independent critical thinking and problem solving skills— the less hand-holding you require, the better.
- Must be 18 years old or older.
- The positions we are trying to fill are currently unpaid. We understand that this will be a dealbreaker for some. Please know that if you are able to make room for us in your schedule that we will be respectful of your time and grateful for your service in helping to build and maintain a thriving community.
- We are actively seeking applications from women, writers of color, LGBTQ folx, and contributors from other underrepresented communities. Marginalized voices are supported and elevated here.
If you’re interested, leave a comment below or email us.