It appears the Chicago Fire have their eye on a big right back from Gornik Zabrze in the Polish top division.
According to a growing number of reports from Polish news outlets, the Fire are talking to Boris Sekulic about a move to MLS. Fire reporter Guillermo Rivera also mentioned Sekulic in a recent piece in The Athletic—the same piece where he dropped Robert Beric’s name.
There might be something to this. So, who is this guy?
- Sekulic is 28, so he’s likely very close to the prime of his career. He’s primarily a right back, but can play centrally or on the left, if needed.
- He’s a naturalized Slovakian, and has two caps for their national team. He was born in Serbia.
- Sekulic is pretty tall—around 6’1” or 6’2”.
- Prior to playing at Gornik Zabrze, Sekulic spent time at clubs in Bulgaria and Slovakia.
- On the always important FIFA 20 rankings, he’s a 65.
- Take a look at this YouTube highlight video. Sekulic seems to have quick feet and good passing vision.
With the Mauricio Pineda homegrown deal last week, the Fire defense seems to be shaping up nicely. Sekulic seems like he might be a solid addition, too. We’ll see if this deal comes together.