Let’s get this part out of the way right away: To watch tonight’s match between the Chicago Fire and Sporting Kansas City, you’ll have to have ESPN+. That’s because the Fire’s usual local TV home, WGN, is broadcasting the Vice Presidential debate. Thus, it’s only streaming on ESPN+. With ESPN+, you get 15 minutes of additional pregame coverage from Tyler Terens and Tony Meola for every match, not just this one, so it’s worth subscribing if you’re a big Fire fan. Tonight’s broadcast starts at 7:15 p.m. CT (sign up using our link, and help support Hot Time!).
- Johan Kappelhof is back after a lengthy injury delay, and is ready to play. He got a few minutes at the end of the 2-2 draw with Montreal, but should get more minutes tonight. Przemyslaw Frankowski is also off the injury report.
- Gastón Giménez and Miguel Navarro are both away on international duty in South America. Jonathan Bornstein will likely get the start at left back, but it will be interesting to see which direction Raphael Wicky wants to go in midfield. If Kappelhof is ready to start, Wicky might slot him in in the right center back position, and shift Mauricio Pineda up to DM. If he’s not, we might see Micheal Azira or Brandt Bronico get the start in midfield.
- With a goal tonight, Robert Berić will break a Fire club record for most consecutive games with a goal, at six. He’s currently tied with David Accam at five.
- If you haven’t yet, you’ll definitely want to check out our story on Fabian Herbers. He talked to us at length about his life growing up in Germany, why he thought he was giving up his dream of playing pro soccer to come to college in the U.S., his struggles in Philadelphia, his successes at Soldier Field this season, and what it was like playing with one of his heroes, Bastian Schweinsteiger.
Wednesday, October 7, 2020
MLS Regular Season Match #16 | Children’s Mercy Park, Kansas City, KS
Kickoff: 7:30 p.m. CT
TV: none (WGN is airing the Vice Presidential debate)
Radio: TUDN 1200AM
Live Twitter Updates: @HotTimeOldTown (from Ruben)
Next Up: Chicago Fire vs. D.C. United | Sunday, Oct. 11 | Soldier Field, Chicago | 6:30 p.m. CT | WGN & ESPN+
Chicago Fire Injuries
- OUT: GK - Kenneth Kronholm (torn ACL, meniscus tear 8/11, out for season)
- OUT: M - Luka Stojanovic (MCL surgery 7/23)
- OUT: M - Jeremiah Gutjahr (knee injury)
Sporting KC Injuries
- OUT: M - Felipe Gutierrez (knee injury 6/9, out for season)
- OUT: D - Luis Martins (not medically cleared)
- OUT: D - Matt Besler (not medically cleared)